Monday, June 05, 2006

Revisiting Garden State (2004)

I'm a sucker for quirky comedy dramas about emotionally vulnerable people (perhaps because my whole life is a quirky comedy-drama about an emotionally vulnerable person), and so I didn't even think twice about buying Garden State on DVD having seen only the trailer.

On first viewing, about six months ago, I was disappointed. I found it derivative and messy.

On second viewing, I enjoyed it a lot more. I liked the way the characters developed and how their traits and foibles were revealed as the story went along. I admit I find Natalie Portman a tad annoying - she whines too much - but I was willing to overlook this, and found I really engaged with the main characters.

The end was an annoying cliche, but I'm not pretending this is a masterpiece. However, it is warm, and it's grown on me. It is also very funny. Not a bad effort for a first-time director (Zach Braff) doubling up in the starring role.

My rating? * * * * *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home