Monday, January 08, 2007

The Wizard of Oz (1939) at the Liverpool Phil

What a treat. Maestro John Wilson transcribed Harold Arlen's magnificent score and conducted it in a live performance with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra last night (with the accompanying film, of course).

On the downside, there were a few spots where it was really hard to get the acoustic balance right, and some of the dialogue was either muffled or insanely loud and tinny. Even this did not detract from the magic of the evening, however. It was a truly special occasion. The Philharmonic Hall was packed out (1500? 1800?), and watching other audience members in their fancy dress, I was half-wishing I'd donned pigtails and a pinafore and come as Dorothy Gale.

I really enjoyed the opening sepia sequence. Seeing the prologue on the big screen drew my attention for the first time to the beautiful, sweeping camerawork by cinematographer Harold Rosson, later to film Singin' in the Rain (1952), also for MGM. The subtler, less showy lensing of Somewhere over the Rainbow was perfect.

The film is a non-stop delight. Part of the magic for me was seeing how a film almost 70 years old still has a mesmerizing effect on children. Try getting the average kid to sit down and watch a film of which a third is in black-and-white. Just doesn't happen, and yet Oz still holds its power to enchant even today.

I highly recommend the 3-Disc Collector's Edition of the film (Region 1, Region 2). A fascinating set for devotees like myself.

My rating? * * * * * (5/5)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home