Tuesday, August 08, 2006

RIP Patrick Allen

1927-2006.

Patrick Allen was a bit of a legend in the voiceover world. In the past decade or so he gained a cult following with his voiceovers on the Reeves and Mortimer show, and more recently, as the voice of E4.

His film appearances could be hit-and-miss, but his fans (including myself) were fond of him. I first remember hearing his distinctive voice in the prologue to the classic Carry on up the Khyber (1966), one of the few truly great films in the Carry On comedy series.

Last year I was introduced to Captain Clegg (1962), one of Hammer's most underrated films. As arch-rivals Clegg and Collier, Peter Cushing and Patrick Allen play off each other brilliantly. My enduring image of Allen is when he doffs his hat respectfully to the late Captain Clegg.

I now doff my hat respectfully to Patrick Allen, a much-loved British star.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home